This is a quick and easy creole that tastes great. I’ve made it once before, but I added okra this time — I thought it needed more veggies, but you could go either way.
CrockPot Cajun Chicken and Shrimp Creole
(Adapted from Moms with CrockPots)
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
- Okra (I used half of a 1-lb bag from the freezer; more or less would be fine)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1-2 tsp Cajun seasoning (I substituted a dash each of garlic powder, onion powder, and oregano)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 lb shrimp peeled, deveined and cleaned
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Hot sauce to taste
- Brown rice, for serving
Place chicken in CrockPot (mine was partially frozen because it hadn’t defrosted completely in the fridge the night before). Add bell pepper, onion, celery, okra, garlic, tomatoes, the spices, salt, and pepper. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours, or on low 7-9 hours (I cook mine on low).
Add shrimp, lemon juice and hot sauce. Cover and cook for another 20-30 minutes or until shrimp are warmed through (I used small shrimp, so it didn’t take long for them to warm). Serve over hot rice.