First attempt at making veggie stock…complete!
I’ve been saving various veggies that I otherwise would have thrown away (the outside leaves of Brussels sprouts, broccoli stems, wilting celery, the ends of carrots, red/green pepper stems and seeds, apple cores, egg shells, etc). I put everything in a large Ziploc bag and stored it in the freezer.
Once I saved up two full bags, I knew it was time to make one into stock.
I threw everything into the CrockPot, covered it with filtered water…
…and set it to cook on low for 11 hours (I added more time to the clock when I got home from work, so it actually ended up cooking for 12 hours).
This is what it looked like 12 hours later:
I strained out all the veggies (using cheesecloth to filter out any large particles) and now my stock is ready to be used!